Cheap Home Insurance in California
Whether you own a beachfront house along the Pacific or a suburban home outside LA, you need the right homeowners insurance to protect what matters most. Mercury provides some of the cheapest homeowners insurance rates in California. Learn more about our home insurance coverage and get a fast, free quote today.
What California Homeowners Insurance Covers
When it comes to protecting your California home, you need coverage that's tailored to the unique challenges of the Golden State. California is no stranger to natural disasters like wildfires, and these events can have a devastating impact on your home. That's why it's crucial to have the right homeowners insurance in place. Affordable homeowners insurance shouldn’t compromise on quality. At Mercury Insurance, we understand the specific needs of California residents, and we offer a range of coverage options at affordable prices to ensure you're prepared for whatever comes your way.
- Dwelling protection - This coverage helps repair or rebuild your home's physical condition if covered events — e.g., wildfires, wind damage, or hail — damage it.
- Personal property - This coverage financially protects personal property in case of theft, damage, or destruction caused by covered losses.
- Extended replacement cost - In the event of a catastrophic loss, this coverage helps provide financial resources to repair or rebuild your home, even if the cost exceeds your policy’s limit.
- Additional living expenses - If your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event, we'll help cover the costs of temporary housing and other necessary expenses while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.
- Personal liability protection - If you cause bodily injury or property damage to another party, this coverage helps financially and legally protect you.
- Guest medical protection - If a guest is injured on your property, our guest medical protection can help cover their medical expenses.
What Factors Determine Your Homeowners Insurance Rate?
In California, insurers look at numerous factors to help determine homeowners insurance rates, and understanding these factors can help you make informed decisions about your coverage. Here are some key considerations they take into account when establishing your homeowners insurance rate:
- Age and condition — Older homes with outdated plumbing, electrical, or HVAC systems tend to be more expensive to insure because they're at higher risk for structural issues and maintenance problems.
- Replacement cost — The cost to rebuild or replace your home in the event of a total loss is a significant factor in your insurance rate. In California, where property values can be high, homes with a higher replacement cost may have higher insurance rates.
- Location — California's diverse geography means that insurers pay close attention to where your home is located. Your insurance rates may be higher if you reside in an area prone to natural disasters like earthquakes and wildfires. Similarly, living in a high-crime neighborhood can also impact your rates.
- High-risk home features — Certain home features can increase your insurance rates. For instance, if you have a swimming pool, trampoline, wood-burning stove, or other high-risk features, insurers may view your property as more accident-prone, resulting in higher premiums.
- Credit history — Your credit history can affect your homeowners insurance rate. Insurers often use credit scores as an indicator of financial responsibility. If you have a poor credit history, insurers may charge you a higher premium, as they may see you as a higher risk for late payments and frequent claims.
- Dog breed —If you own a dog, its breed can impact your insurance rates. Some insurance companies consider certain dogs, like Rottweilers, German shepherds, and pit bulls, as "aggressive breeds." Owning one of these breeds may result in higher premiums due to the perceived risk of dog-related incidents.
How to Reduce Your Homeowners Insurance Rate with Mercury Insurance
The average cost of homeowners insurance in California is approximately $1,383 per year1 or $115 a month. While this rate is lower than the national average of $1,754, we understand how important it is to save every dollar you can in the Golden State. Here are a few ways you can help reduce your homeowners insurance rate2 to find the cheapest homeowners insurance in California.
- Raise your deductible — Your deductible is the out-of-pocket amount you agree to pay before your insurance coverage helps out. Opting for a higher deductible can lead to lower premiums. However, it's important to strike a balance between a deductible that saves you money on premiums and one you can comfortably afford to pay when you file a claim.
- Focus on improving your credit — Boost your credit score by paying your bills on time, disputing any errors on your credit report, and reducing debt. A healthier credit score benefits your homeowners insurance and can lead to lower interest rates on loans and credit cards.
- Talk with your local insurance agent — Your local agent understands the unique challenges and risks associated with your location and can guide you on getting the right coverage at an affordable price.
- Bundle your insurance policies — Many insurance companies, including Mercury, offer discounts when you bundle multiple insurance policies, such as homeowners and auto insurance. Bundling can lead to significant savings, making it a smart choice to reduce insurance expenses.
- Home saftey features — California's susceptibility to natural disasters, like earthquakes and wildfires, makes home safety measures crucial. Installing safety features like smoke detectors, burglar alarms, and reinforced roofing can not only enhance your home's safety but also qualify you for discounts on your homeowners insurance premiums.
Mercury offers affordable homeowners insurance without sacrificing quality support and service. Talk with an agent today to help you find cheap homeowners insurance.
Save More with Discounts
When it comes to securing cheap homeowners insurance that still protects your California home and helps you save on premiums, Mercury offers discounts that can make a significant difference in your annual costs. Here are some discount opportunities you can explore to potentially lower your homeowners insurance rate:
- Home safety discounts — By installing protective devices such as smoke detectors, burglar alarms, and leak detectors, you show your commitment to safeguarding your property. These safety measures can result in lower insurance rates, reflecting the reduced risk of incidents.
- Homeowners association discount — If your home is part of a homeowners association (HOA), you may be eligible for a homeowners insurance discount. HOAs often have regulations and maintenance standards that can reduce the risk of certain claims, making your home a lower insurance risk.
- Newer home discount — If your home was constructed fewer than 10 years before your policy's effective date, you may qualify for a newer home discount. Newer homes typically have modern construction and infrastructure, reducing the likelihood of certain types of claims and leading to lower insurance premiums.
- Wildfire mitigation discount — California is known for its wildfires, so if you take proactive steps to mitigate wildfire risks for your home, you could receive a discount.
- Multi-policy discount — You can get significant annual savings by bundling your home and auto insurance under Mercury.
Mercury Insurance offers excellent coverage at an affordable price for your California home. Talk with an agent today for a fast, free quote!
What to know about California Home Insurance
What are the average home insurance rates in California?
According to Policy Genius, the average cost of homeowners insurance in California is approximately $1,383 per year or $115 per month.
Who insures homes in California?
Many companies offer homeowners insurance in California, but you can get peace of mind knowing your family and property are protected when you choose Mercury. We’re one of America’s best insurance providers and a home-grown Californian company, meaning we know the Golden State and its unique challenges, as well as any insurance company out there.
What Mercury Insurance products are available to California Residents?
Here are some insurance products Mercury has to offer for California residents:
- California Auto Insurance
- California Cheap Car Insurance
- California Cheap Homeowners Insurance
- California Cheap Renters Insurance
- California Condo Insurance
- California Homeowners Insurance
- California Renters Insurance
- Fresno Insurance
- Los Angeles Insurance
- Sacramento Insurance
- San Diego Insurance
- San Francisco Insurance
- San Jose Insurance
How can I get cheap home insurance in California?
Raising your deductible, improving your credit score, bundling home and auto insurance, and taking advantage of your insurance provider’s discounts can all be effective ways to help you get affordable home insurance in California.
Why is homeowners insurance getting more expensive in California?
The rising costs of repairing and rebuilding homes and longer wildfire seasons are some of the main causes of California’s increasing homeowners insurance rates.
Is it illegal to not have homeowners insurance in California?
No, it’s not illegal to not carry homeowners insurance in California. However, many mortgage lenders require it.