Cheap Home Insurance in Georgia
Homeowners insurance helps protect your loved ones and property when the unexpected occurs. Mercury makes it easy to get one of the cheapest homeowners insurance rates in Georgia, whether you own a suburban home outside Atlanta or a charming vacation spot in Savannah. Learn more about Georgia homeowners insurance and get a fast, free quote today.
What Georgia Homeowners Insurance Covers
At Mercury Insurance, we've tailored our coverage options to suit every Peach State residence:
- Dwelling protection - This coverage can help pay for repair and replacement costs to your home’s physical structure if it’s damaged in a covered loss.
- Personal property - In the event of a covered loss, this coverage financially protects your belongings, from Southern antiques to modern electronics.
- Extended replacement cost - If rebuilding or replacement expenses from a covered loss exceed your policy's limits, this coverage helps extend your dwelling coverage up to a predetermined percentage.
- Additional living expenses - If a Southern storm or unforeseen event displaces you from your home, we'll cover your temporary relocation costs, such as hotel stays and meals.
- Personal liability protection - This coverage protects you from potential liabilities in your home, from backyard BBQ mishaps to unforeseen accidents.
- Guest medical protection - In the true spirit of Southern hospitality, if a guest gets injured on your property, we can help cover their medical expenses.
What Factors Determine Your Homeowners Insurance Rate?
Georgia insurance companies look at numerous factors to determine your risk profile — how likely you are to file a claim. Generally, the higher your risk profile, the higher your homeowners insurance rate. Here are some factors that insurers check to help establish your rate:
- Age and condition — While Georgia’s historic homes may be charming, they often have higher insurance costs due to outdated electrical, plumbing, or HVAC systems.
- Replacement cost — Homes that cost more to replace, from Savannah's historic mansions to Atlanta's sleek condos, tend to have higher insurance rates.
- Location — Georgia's varied topography means homes might be susceptible to floods, tornadoes, wildfires, and other natural disasters, which can raise your insurance premium.
- High-risk home features — High-risk Features like swimming pools, trampolines, and wood-burning stoves can increase your insurance rate.
- Credit history — Insurers may associate a blemished credit history with potential payment lapses or frequent claims, potentially raising your home insurance rate.
- Dog breed — Owning an “aggressive breed” — e.g., Rottweiler, German shepherd, pit bull, etc. — could raise your insurance rates.
How to Reduce Your Homeowners Insurance Rate with Mercury Insurance
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Georgia is approximately $1,950 per year1 or $163 a month1. Every dollar counts, especially insuring one of your most significant investments. With that in mind, here are some strategies to help you potentially reduce your insurance costs:
- Raise your deductible — Your deductible is what you pay out of pocket before your insurance covers anything. By opting for a higher deductible, you might see a lower premium. However, this means you'll pay a larger upfront cost if you need to file a claim.
- Focus on improving your credit — Maintaining a solid credit score can lead to lower insurance rates. You can boost your score by paying bills on time, rectifying any inaccuracies on your credit report, and reducing outstanding debt.
- Talk with your local insurance agent — Your local agent has plenty of knowledge on what influences Georgia insurance rates, so don’t hesitate to ask for guidance.
- Bundle insurance policies — Many insurers, including Mercury, offer discounts for bundling home and auto insurance.
- Invest in home safety — Upgrading to storm-resistant roofing, installing a burglar alarm, or even adding smoke detectors can lead to insurance discounts. The safer your home, the more appealing it might be to insurers.
- Review coverage annually — Whether your home's value has changed or you've sold valuable items, reviewing and adjusting your policy annually can lead to savings.
Mercury offers cheap homeowners insurance without sacrificing quality support and service. Talk with an agent today to help you find cheap homeowners insurance.
Save More with Discounts
Take advantage of one or more of these discounts and potentially save hundreds of dollars a year on your home insurance:
- Home safety discounts — Equip your home with devices like smoke alarms, security systems, and water leak sensors. These proactive steps don't just enhance protection but can also lead to noticeable insurance savings.
- Homeowners association discount — If your residence belongs to a homeowners association, you might be eligible for exclusive discounts.
- Newer home discount — If your home was constructed less than a decade before your effective policy date, you might qualify for a discount.
- Wildfire mitigation discount — Georgia's varied landscape means some areas can be wildfire hotspots. You could receive a special discount if you've taken measures to mitigate this risk.
- Multi-policy discount — Combine your home and auto insurance under one policy and enjoy savings.
- Green home — Homes that carry a green seal of approval either from the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED certification or the NAHB Green Building Guidelines can earn up to a 5% discount.
- Updated home — If your home has undergone permitted enhancements in the past decade — e.g., HVAC upgrades, roofing renewals, or modern renovations — you could secure up to a 10% reduction on wind and water perils.
- Good payer — If you’ve paid on time for the past three years, you’re eligible for the Good Payer Discount, saving you 2% on your policy.
- Paid in full — If you have renters insurance, you can receive up to a 10% discount if you pay your premium in full.
- Digital — Register for our online portal, opt for paperless billing and documentation, and get up to 2% premium savings.
Mercury Insurance offers excellent coverage at an affordable price for your Georgia home. Talk with an agent today for a fast, free quote!
Finding Cheap Home Insurance in GA
What are the average home insurance rates in Georgia?
According to Policy Genius, the average cost of home insurance in Georgia is about $1,950 per year, or $163 a month.
What is considered high-value home insurance?
High-value home insurance is a type of homeowners insurance that protects costly properties, usually properties valued at $1 million or more.
How to find cheap homeowners insurance in Georgia?
Tactics such as raising your deductible, improving your credit score, investing in home safety features, bundling insurance policies, taking advantage of discounts, and reviewing your coverage annually can all help lower your insurance premium.
Why is homeowners insurance so high in Georgia?
According to Policy Genius, the average cost of homeowners insurance in the U.S. is $146 per month or $1,754 a year. Georgia’s average cost is about 11% more than the national average, likely due to a combination of natural disaster risk, building costs, and crime rates in certain regions.