Cheap Virginia Renters Insurance
Enter your zip code below to start your quote
You can pick up from where you left by retrieving your quote below.Search by Quote ID → Search by Date of Birth
Cheap Renters Insurance in Virginia
Mercury offers some of the most affordable renters insurance rates in Virginia without compromising quality coverage and service. Whether you’re renting a studio apartment in Chesapeake or a two-bedroom townhouse in Virginia Beach, you can rest easy knowing we cover your belongings, personal liability, and medical payments to others in case of an accident. Learn more about our renters insurance and get a policy that’s perfect for you.
What is Renters Insurance?
Renters insurance helps protect you and your belongings when the unexpected happens. Landlord insurance covers the building, but you’re responsible for personal liability, your belongings, and medical payments to others. If you rent an apartment, condo, townhouse, or any other property in the Old Dominion State, it’s a good idea to have renters insurance. Get a free quote today and we’ll tell you how easy and affordable it is to safeguard you and your valuables.
Your Renters Coverage
Items and Expenses Covered by Renters Insurance
Renters insurance covers these common items and expenses:
- Furniture and clothing
- Electronics (TVs, computers, tablets, etc.)
- Musical instruments and sporting equipment
- Medical expenses and legal fees if a visitor injures themselves on your property
- Accidental damage to someone else’s property
- Additional expenses if your property is inhabitable due to a covered loss
Incidents Covered by Renters Insurance
A renters insurance policy from Mercury provides low-cost coverage for incidents such as:
- Smoke damage
- Weight of ice, sleet, or snow
- Falling objects
- Visitor injuries
- Sudden or accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam
- Spoiled Refrigerated Products
What Renters Insurance Doesn’t Cover
There are some events and items that renter insurance doesn’t cover. You’ll need to purchase separate coverage for these types of incidents:
- Damage caused by pests, rodents, and other forms of vermin.
- Critical systems, appliances, and electronics due to unexpected mechanical or electrical breakdowns.
- Cyber-related losses, such as computer attacks, home systems attacks, cyber extortion, and online fraud.
Why Is My Landlord Asking for Me to Get Renters Insurance?
While the law doesn’t mandate renters insurance, many landlords require proof of insurance before you move into your new place. Here are some of the reasons why you may need you to get coverage:
- It reduces their liability — If someone gets injured at your home, they’ll look to your insurance company for compensation. Your landlord won’t have to pay for court costs associated with bodily injury claims.
- It prevents you from collecting damages from them — Landlords are responsible for structural damage to the building. Renters insurance helps cover your belongings and additional living expenses after a disaster, so you don’t have to turn to your landlord for compensation.
- It allows them to recover damages — If you accidentally cause a fire or water damage in your unit, your landlord’s insurance will pay damages to the property. However, this is only after your landlord pays the deductible. If you have renter insurance, your landlord can get that deductible from your insurer.
Choose Mercury for Cheap Virginia Renters Insurance
No matter where you live in the great state of Virginia, a renters insurance policy from Mercury can help protect you and your personal property after an unexpected event. We believe everyone deserves solid protection at an affordable price. When you choose Mercury for your renters insurance, you can get peace of mind for less than a cup of coffee a day.