Cheap Homeowners Insurance in Illinois
The right homeowners insurance can give you peace of mind knowing that your loved ones and property are protected. Mercury makes it easy to get quality coverage at an affordable rate, whether you own a home in the Chicago suburbs or a farmhouse in Central Illinois. Learn more about our homeowners insurance and get a fast, free quote today.
What Illinois Homeowners Insurance Covers
When you choose Mercury Insurance, we provide several coverage options for your Illinois home, including:
- Dwelling protection
- Personal property
- Extended replacement cost
- Additional living expenses
- Personal liability protection
- Guest medical protection
What Factors Determine Your Homeowners Insurance Rate?
Illinois insurance companies look at numerous factors to determine your risk profile — how likely you are to file a claim. Generally, the higher your risk profile, the higher your homeowners insurance rate. Here are some factors that insurers check to help establish your rate:
- Age and condition — Older homes with outdated plumbing, electrical, or HVAC systems usually cost more to insure than newer homes.
- Replacement cost — The more your home costs to replace, the more likely you will pay for a higher insurance rate.
- Location — You can expect to pay more for homeowners insurance if you live in a crime-ridden area or location prone to natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, and wildfires.
- High-risk home features — Swimming pools, trampolines, wood-burning stoves, and other high-risk features can increase your rate.
- Credit history — Insurers often see a bad credit score as an indicator for late payments and frequent claims. If you have a poor credit history, you may receive a higher insurance rate.
- Dog breed — Owning an “aggressive breed” — e.g., Rottweiler, German shepherd, pit bull, etc. — could raise your insurance rates.
How to Reduce Your Homeowners Insurance Rate
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Illinois is approximately $1,103 per year1. We know how important it is to save every dollar you can in the Prairie State. Here are a few ways you can help reduce your homeowners insurance rate2:
- Raise your deductible — A deductible is the amount you agree to pay upfront before your insurance begins to pay for any covered costs. Choosing a higher deductible generally means a lower premium, but you can expect higher out-of-pocket costs if you need to file a claim.
- Focus on improving your credit — A good credit score can lead to lower premiums, as well as lower interest rates on loans and credit cards. Boost your credit score by paying your bills on time, disputing errors on your credit report, and paying down revolving account balances.
- Talk with your local insurance agent — No matter where you live in Illinois, your local agent will do everything they can to ensure you get the coverage you need at an affordable price.
Mercury offers affordable homeowners insurance without sacrificing quality support and service. Talk with an agent today to help you find cheap homeowners insurance.
Save More with Discounts
You can also help lower your homeowners insurance rate with discounts from Mercury. Consider taking advantage of one or more of these discounts and potentially save hundreds of dollars a year:
- Home safety discounts — Installing protective devices — e.g., smoke detectors, burglar alarms, leak detectors — can help lower your insurance rate.
- Homeowners association discount — If your home belongs to a homeowners association, you may receive a discount.
- Newer home discount — If you own a home that was built fewer than 10 years before your effective policy date, you may get a discount.
- Wildfire mitigation discount — You may be eligible for this discount if you live in an area prone to wildfires.
- Multi-policy discount — Bundle home and auto policies together and save
Mercury Insurance offers excellent coverage at an affordable price for your Illinois home. Talk with an agent today for a fast, free quote!