Having insurance is an important part of being a responsible driver. Each state (with the exception New Hampshire and Virginia) requires drivers to have current auto insurance, though the amount of insurance required and what it costs can vary state to state and driver to driver. You may not have control over the cost of your vehicle and other costs associated with being a good driver, but you may find great savings with available discounts through your insurer.
“There’s no such thing as a one-size fits-all insurance policy,” said Kevin Quinn, vice president of claims and customer service at Mercury Insurance. “Auto insurance policies can be personalized to provide the perfect amount of protection for your needs. This also includes potentially receiving a variety of discounts that match your unique driver profile and vehicle features.”
Standard auto insurance policies offer a range of coverage, including liability protection, personal injury protection, uninsured or underinsured motorist, comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. Additional coverage options may be added, such as roadside assistance if your vehicle breaks down on the road or ride-hailing insurance if you plan to drive for a ridesharing company like Uber of Lyft.
The current auto insurance discounts you could be eligible for through Mercury Insurance fall into five categories1:
Driver Safety Discounts
Getting a discount for good driving is one of many ways you can be rewarded for your safety behind the wheel. Here are some others that can help you see bigger savings on your auto insurance policy:
- Defensive driver discount may be available to policyholders who complete a defensive driving course, approved by the state;
- Defensive driving course discount may be available to policyholders who are 55 years or older and have completed the National Safety Council's Defensive Driving Course;
- Good driver discount is available to policyholders where all drivers 25 years or older haven’t had any claims or traffic offenses in the past three years;
- Five-year accident free discount may be available to policyholders who haven’t had any at-fault accidents within 59 months (five years) prior to the policy term;
- Five-year claim free discount may be available to policyholders who haven’t had an at-fault accident in the past five years and haven’t had an occurrences of an unverifiable driving record;
- New business five-year accident free discount may be available to new policyholders who haven’t had an at-fault or not at-fault accident during the 59 months (five years) before beginning a new policy with Mercury;
- Three-year accident/violation free discount may be available to policyholders who haven’t had a violation or accident within the 35 months (three years) prior to the policy term.
Driver Status Discounts
Drivers of all ages and backgrounds, and across career fields have an opportunity to save even more on their auto insurance policies.
- Association discount is available to eligible policyholders and/or their spouse if they belong to a sponsored group, such as professional groups for doctors or first responders;
- Distant student discount is applied if a single child of the primary policyholder, under the age of 23, attends school more than 100 miles from garaging zip code and does not have regular access to a covered vehicle;
- Education discount may be provided based on the highest level of education achieved by the policyholder or their spouse;
- Good student discount is applied to single, full-time students under the age of 23 who have a B average (3.0+ GPA) or better;
- Mature driver discount is offered to those age 55 and over who have completed a motor vehicle driver improvement course meeting the standards of the State Department of Motor Vehicles;
- Minor child discount is available to single drivers who are under the age of 19 and a child of the primary policyholder who will be rated with the minor child discount if the policy has been inforce with Mercury for 24 months;
- Occupation discount may be provided based on the verifiable occupation of the policyholder or spouse.
Drivers save hundreds* when switching to Mercury Insurance.
*Individual savings may vary.
Your insurer may provide you with additional discounts depending on the type of insurance policies you hold with them and how long you’ve been a loyal policyholder.
- Advance quote discount is applied to policies written as new business if the original quote date is five to 90 days before the policy effective date;
- Annual two-pay discount is available to policyholders who choose the two-pay bill plan when buying an annual policy;
- Auto pay discount is available to policyholders who pay using an electronic funds transfer from a checking or savings account;
- Continuous insurance discount is provided based on the length of time continuously insured with the prior carrier, often longer than five months;
- E-signature discount is provided to policyholders who sign all applicable documents electronically;
- Good payer discount is available to policyholders who have no late payments or non-sufficient funds charges in the past 35 months;
- Multi-policy discount is available to policyholders who also have a homeowners, renters or condo insurance policy with Mercury Insurance;
- Multi-car discount is available to policyholders who have more than one vehicle insured on the policy;
- Pay in full discount is available to policyholders who choose the full pay bill plan;
- Prior carrier discount is available to policyholders whose prior carrier is considered a “Select Carrier;”
- Prior 250/500 discount applies if the policyholder has prior insurance, with no lapse in coverage, and the prior policy contained bodily injury coverage limits of $250,000/$500,000 or greater or $500,000 combined single limit liability or greater;
- Tier adjustment factor discount applies if the policyholder has prior insurance, with no lapse in coverage, and the prior policy contained bodily injury coverage limits of $250,000/$500,000 or greater or $500,000 combined single limit liability or greater.
Sometimes, getting a discount on your auto insurance is as easy as taking note of the features your car may already have.
- Airbag discount applies to vehicles equipped with Airbag Safety Systems;
- Anti-lock brakes discount applies to vehicles equipped with anti-lock brakes;
- Anti-theft discount applies to vehicles equipped with anti-theft mechanisms, such as GPS tracking systems or car alarms;
- Daytime running lamps discount is applied to vehicles equipped with factory installed daytime running lamps;
- Electric vehicle discount is applied to all EVs on a policy;
- Homing device discount is applied to vehicles equipped with an electronic homing device, using a radio frequency network, if used in conjunction with a participating police agency;
- Passive restraint discount is applied to vehicles equipped with passive seat belts, single (driver side) and double airbags (driver and passenger side);
- VIN etching discount applies to vehicles with the unique VIN etched into the vehicle’s window.
Drivers who may not use their vehicle as frequently or would like to opt into usage-based insurance programs could take advantage of discounts available through Mercury’s MercuryGO program. This program is app-based and currently only available to Mercury customers in Texas.
- MercuryGO Driving discounts are given to customers who earn good driving scores, based on trackable skills like braking and maintaining safe speeds. through the app.
- MercuryGO Participation discounts are provided to customers who keep the app active on their phone to monitor driving.
- Mercury’s RealDrive ® program offers a five percent discount on your auto insurance policy just for signing up, and could result in further savings based on your mileage verification.
Driving uninsured or underinsured can have costly consequences. You should shop around for the insurance that best matches your needs to ensure you’re covered before you get behind the wheel. Adding relevant discounts to your policy can help lead to bigger savings. Get an online quote to see which discounts you qualify for or speak with an agent who can check for extra savings on your auto insurance.
1Discounts vary by state. Check with your local Mercury agent to see which discounts are available to you.