LIKE MERCURY ON FACEBOOK
HELPFUL INSURANCE TIPS
When Natural Disaster Damages
Tips for Homeowners on Filing a Fire Insurance Claim
Southern California is a great place to live. The weather is fantastic, the beach is close and the mountains are only a short drive away. The nice climate, however, also creates perfect conditions for wildfires. And every fall, Southern California residents must contend with the possibility that these events can ravage entire neighborhoods and communities.
The stress caused by damaged property—from displacement to loss of sentimental treasures—can be devastating and immobilizing. So it's important to prepare for these potential natural disasters. Here are a few tips to help with the claims process in the event your home suffers damage from a fire.
- Contact your insurer immediately to report your loss.
- Do not remove debris or damaged property that may be related to your claim.
In addition, there are important steps to follow once you've filed a claim.
- Prepare a detailed inventory of destroyed or damaged property.
- Offer photos or videotapes of your home and possessions to your adjuster, if these are available.
- Keep copies of communications between you and your adjuster.
- Keep records and receipts for additional living expenses that were incurred if you were forced to leave your home, and provide copies to your adjuster.
- Cover damaged walls, doors, windows and roofs with plastic sheeting or plywood.
Like any other claim, Mercury Insurance customers can file fire insurance claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling Mercury's Claims Hotline at (800) 503-3724.
FIND AN AGENT
Enter your zip code below to
find a local authorized agent.