Mercury Insurance policyholders who have been impacted by Hurricane Laura can report damages and losses through Mercury’s claims hotline at (800) 503-3724. The hurricane strengthened into a Category 4 storm as it reached land, along the Texas and Louisiana border, and more than half a million people have been ordered to evacuate.
“Recovering from a hurricane can be very difficult and we want all of our Texas customers to know that the Mercury claims team is ready to help,” says Christopher O’Rourke, Mercury’s vice president of property claims. “We urge residents returning to storm-damaged homes to take the necessary precautions to protect their family and pets, and use extra care when traveling through flooded areas.”
Mercury claims adjusters will assess wind and rain damage, but homeowners seeking coverage from flood and debris flows should review the National Flood Insurance Program.
Mercury representatives are available to help address covered claims while following social distancing procedures. Representatives are also available to arrange temporary housing and provide assistance with living expenses if policyholders are forced to leave their homes in response to mandatory evacuation orders arising out of a covered event.
If a claim needs to be filed, O’Rourke advises policyholders follow a few simple procedures to help speed up the process
When filing a claim
- Contact Mercury immediately to report your loss.
- Be prepared to provide your policy number.
- Do not remove debris or damaged property that may be related to your claim.
Steps after filing a claim
- Prepare a detailed inventory of destroyed or damaged property.
- Offer photos or videos of your home and possessions to your adjuster, if these are available.
- Keep copies of communications between you and your adjuster.
- Keep records and receipts for additional living expenses that were incurred if you were forced to leave your home, and provide copies to your adjuster.